Thursday, November 12, 2009

UW- LA CROSSE ALUMNI SWIM MEET

Share
Every October is the alumni swim meet at UWL. It's an open meet so anyone can swim including non-alumni.

Usually everyone meets across the street at the Eagle's nest for food and beverages throughout the meet and diving breaks.

This year I decided to go back and swim. I couldn't talk any of my friends into swimming although a few were with me to hang out. I swam the 200 I.M. Although I have been doing a lot of triathlons and such, I haven't been in the pool in a couple months


The 200 i.m. is a fun event and occurs before lunch so I thought that would be the one to do.

I dove in off blocks (which I haven't done in a several years) and felt good because I thought I had a good reaction to the buzzer. Then I looked over and noticed all the college guys about 1/2 body length ahead of me. As my friend Matt told me, "It was all downhill after the start."

First 50 fly felt good and then I started swimming back and started to feel it. After about 25 back I was breathing quite hard and going numb in the arms and legs. Forgot what it feels like to swim short distances.

When I got to breastroke I couldn't breath very well and pushed off without doing any pullouts. Pretty certain I would have passed out had I tried a pullout.

Got to Freestyle and new I could hang in there and finish although still numb. Was breathing every stroke and working hard.

Finished in 2:30. Not a bad time for an old guy with a drag suit and no swim practice for several months. Got smoked by all the college guys as expected but it was fun to get back out there and do a short fast race. I.M. is still my favorite.

Now I can wait about 10 years again before going back!

P.S. You know you are not in college anymore when everyone goes out to party and you have dinner, ice cream and go to bed at about 9.

No comments: