Sunday, July 19, 2009

Aquathlon July

Share
This aquathlon had a new addition in the form of chicken wings. Thanks to Quaker Steak and Lube, athletes could choose to eat up to three chicken wings after the swim and before the run. Each wing eaten gave the runner a 30 second time bonus. About 1/2 of the 100 or so athletes chose to eat at least one wing. I waited until after the race.

The weather before the race was extremely windy. The wind was coming across the lake and creating a lot of chop on the water. It made it very hard to set up the swim buoys for the course.

Fortunately, the wind died down before the race and the waves calmed some also. The swim was very bunched up in the beginning. It seemed as though the waves that remained, made it hard for swimmers to see eachother and as a result, the usual string of swimmers didn't start until after the first buoy.

I stayed behind a few swimmers and felt good on the swim. I came out about 6th or so and was onto the run. Because I had a fast transition and didn't eat any wings I think I was running third after the transition. Mark Harms and another fast person were way up ahead.

I got passed about 1/2 mile into the run and then got passed by another at about the one mile. I was hoping to stay in 5th. I felt good and was running pretty fast. At the last hill (with about 1/2 mile to go) Ben (puker) passed me and I could see wing sauce all over his face. I tried to stay behind him and kept it pretty close. I knew Steve was also right behind me. Steve passed me and we both sped up and ran side by side for a while. On the last stretch Steve pulled ahead and ended up beating me. This is the worst way to finish a race-getting beat at the end. It was frustrating to get passed at the end, but I am still happy overall that I had a good swim and run and had a lot of fun racing.

The post race wings were great and went fast. Someone also showed up with a big box of cookies that were delish.

Can't wait for the next one.

No comments: